Tuesday 12 July 2016 – Trin, Switzerland

I had crossed Germany west to east and back by hitchhiking on numerous
occasions before Over The Top. It has always been a very swift traverse,
sometimes stopping overnight in a city of interest, often just pushing
through to my next destination, be it Salzburg, Poznan or Prague. I had no
reason to believe crossing the country north to south would be any more
cumbersome than my previous experiences in what I found was the most
hitchhiker-friendly country so far. I was wrong. After we had picked up our
luggage at the Copenhagen airport, we were headed for southern
Germany to attempt the summit of Zugspitze, a respectable 2962 meter
mountain hanging over the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, on the border
with Austria. Quite soon after catching a ride from the airport we had to
split up. Yannick and I left Andreas behind and tried to make it down south
as fast as possible. A couple of rides later we found ourselves at a gas
station near Schleswig, some 50 kilometres past the Danish border.
Although it was getting dark, there was still quite some traffic but all
seemed to be local, since the gas station was not directly on the freeway.
I had intended to make it to Kassel, about halfway through Germany on this
first day, to visit Sarah, an old friend I hadn’t seen in a couple of years. With
over 400 kilometres to go and the cities of Hamburg and Hannover to
cross, it was unlikely we’d make it tonight. So Yannick and I decided to look
for a convenient spot to set up our tent at the back of the service station,
sleep for a couple of hours and catch a ride in the early morning.  The night
did not seem to change a lot to the situation: full cars, locals or rides going
the wrong direction made up the majority of our attempts at catching a
ride down south. And of course, the obligatory ‘I’d love to give you a ride,
but this is a company car…’. After some time eventually, a dutch couple
came by with a mobil-home for clichés sake.
They helped us on our way before dropping us off at yet another gas
station, where the waiting was about to begin once again. Same old story:
no space in the car, company car, not the right direction… this was going to
be a long day. A very nice young woman (pretty good looking too) could
take only one of us past Kassel, so Yannick and I tossed a coin for it and
moments later he was on his way down south. I wasn’t too bummed about
it because it meant I might stay at Sarah’s place in Kassel tonight. It took
me another couple of hours to get there and I was surprised at the slow
average I was moving at. But meeting up with Sarah after all this time was
worth it.

The next day I set out early in the morning to make sure to reach the Alps.
Andreas and Yannick were both a little further down the road and we had
agreed to meet at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the evening. Another day,
another gas station, another couple of hours before catching a good ride.
This was getting annoying and I was getting a bit irritated at this turn of
events. I met with Sabine after a while, a lively woman who didn’t know too
well what lays on her route, but she was happy to accept me as a
co-pilot. On our way to Frankfurt, which is already a bit of a detour
but I was keen on just moving, suddenly the motor of her car started
sputtering and a light on the dashboard urged her to stop. We barely made
it to a rest stop along the freeway before calling the roadside assistance.
Poor Sabine was visibly high-strung and I was split between staying with
her until the assistance came by and trying to move on, as I still had quite a
stretch to hitchhike. Only after she urged me to continue alone, because
assistance was on its way, did I stretch my thumb again. Hoping for better
luck! It came quickly and finally I was on my way to the Alps, over Stuttgart
and Ulm. I met with a delightful priest from Graubunden, the Romansh-
speaking part of Switzerland. Odd encounter though, he was sitting quietly
in his car at a gas station near Stuttgart as I approached him. He looked
exactly like Walter Sobchak, the Dude’s bowling team mate in The Big
Lebowski, only less ill-tempered. As I solicited a ride, he asked for a
moment to pull himself together and go to the bathroom. I suspected he
was under the influence of… whatever it was. “I got stung by a bee”, he
announced in the most fragile of ways after coming back from the
bathroom. The following hour or so we had an interesting conversation on
languages, religion, Switzerland, literature and many more. In German, only
a second or third language to both of us. I find those encounters of the
most interest to me, as it always ends up with the basic will to understand
each other. I left Adam, aka Walter, with the promise of writing him soon.
Two rides later, I was finally en route to Garmisch. It was already past
bedtime when I got in the car with a very talkative German. I explained the
Over The Top project and appreciated his keen interest in the project. He
asked if I had had dinner. I said no and knew from experience what this
means. Moments later, in between his monologues on the work-ethics
in the military and the psychology of hierarchy, he stopped at a
pizzeria and came back with three huge pizzas, before dropping me off at
the camping where Yannick and Andreas had made friends with some
Norwegians in front of a tv-set, just to see Germany go down against
France at the Eurocup semi-finals. We set up our tents in the dark
and caught some sleep, before stocking up on some food for the road and
hitchhiking to the base of the Zugspitze. A concerned mother-type
picked us up and warned us that we were setting off a bit too late to try
and make it to the top today. We ignored her advice and hiked to through
the magnificent Partnachklamm, an intimidating gorge cut out by the clear
blue water of the Rein-river.
The temperature upon coming out of the gorge was already pretty intense,
but for some reason I felt incredibly light and ready for a solid hike. After
moving through the stunning Reintal scenery, I told Yannick and Andreas I
was feeling really good and would move up a bit faster, waiting for them at
the next hut to eat together. It felt so good because when I had my first
hiking experiences with my group of boyscouts in Ireland, Corsica and
Sweden, over ten years ago, I was consistently part of the slower guys.
This time I felt like flying up the path and I even ran a couple of hundred
meters once in a while, feeling in complete harmony with my surroundings.
The setback came at the Reintalanglerhütte, where we shared a quick
meal only to come to the realisation that our lift-giver
this morning was right: we would not make it to the summit of Zugspitze
before 6 pm, one hour and a half after the last cable-car goes down.
Staying in one of the huts was not an option since we left our bags with our
Norwegian friends at the camping and had no idea when they would
leave. The only option was to go back, pick up our stuff and wake up very
early the next morning to make a second attempt at the summit. We took it
as a bit of a terrain exploration, a reconnaissance before doing the real

We were at the Partnachklamm at 6 am the next morning, still pretty rigid
after our 34 kilometres exploration of yesterday. We made passed the
Reintalanglerhütte, our previous turnback point, before 10 am. Well on
schedule. Our calves were suffering as the actual ascent was about to
begin. Steep terrain and rapidly changing surroundings announced doing
this climb in one day was not for the faint-hearted.
We reached the next hut by noon, had a quick bite and moved on rapidly

towards rocky terrain. Where we often felt alone in the Reintal, past this hut
the stretch to the summit looked more like a highway of varied hikers.
Some a bit naïve maybe found themselves crossing the snowpatches and
scrambling over the loose boulderfields in nothing more than sweatpants
and a pair of open sneakers. Others were fully-equipped with crampons
and a via-ferrata set.
Yesterday’s heat made way for a cloudy day and a chilly wind. We
considered ourselves very lucky for that, because the steep slopes of
Zugspitze proved to be an exhausting test of our thighs and calves and we
found ourselves out of breath and with a bonking heart more than once. It
had already been a long and strenuous day by then and Yannick and I
laughed at each other for just about having it. There was not too much
enjoyment of the wonderful environment we were in, just the desire to get
on with it and reaching the summit once and for all. Another steep ascent
along a sort of via-ferrata track separated us from the clouds,
in which we occasionally guessed the contours of the summit. But first
there was a slope of very loose rocks to overcome. This was by far the
most exhausting part of the climb: every step we took we found our feet
sinking into the gravel-like terrain, barely moving up at all.
With one final push we reached the beginning of the via-ferrata climb,
a fun scrambling into the clouds and up to the Zugspitze platform, where
we were greeted by hordes of tourists who took the cable car up.
However, this was not yet the summit which demanded another
snowpatch to be climbed up before knuckling under to us. Summit #2 on
this adventure, no easy day.



Dinsdag 1 augustus 2016 - Ljubljana, Slovenië

Ik ben geen lifter. Mijn eerste liftervaring was in oktober vorig jaar in dezelfde opstelling als de huidige. Samen met Andreas en Bertrand stak ik mijn duim op aan de oprit van de autosnelweg in Gent op weg naar Andorra om het hoogste punt te beklimmen als voorbereiding en test van deze reis. We spoelen terug naar begin juli. Ik heb nog nooit alleen gelift, maar wist dat het er zeker van zal komen. Bertrand en ik spreken Denen, Duitsers, Nederlanders en Zweden aan om van Noord-Duitsland naar het zuiden te trekken. Na een dik uur heeft Bertrand beet, een jonge Duitse dame met dezelfde naam als de dochter van The King kan 1 persoon meenemen tot voorbij Kassel. Ik nestel me in de passagierszetel, Bertrand wou ten slotte toch iemand bezoeken in Kassel. Lisa-Marie stelt zich voor en vraagt in welke taal we zullen spreken. Ze is Duits, maar een studie-uitstap van enkele maanden in Canada leverde haar vloeiend Engels en Frans op. Mijn eerste solo-liftervaring is er 1 van veel lachen, slapen (ik slaap namelijk altijd en overal wel eens) en snoep uitdelen. Dat de rit zich in het Frans afspeelt, stelt me gerust. Rust die ik zeker kan gebruiken om later achter te worden gelaten aan wat onze tweede thuis is geworden, een tankstation langs de autobahn.

Ik vul mijn fles water bij in de toiletten en begin aan wat voor mij het meest ongemakkelijke is aan deze reis. Onbekenden aanspreken, hopen dat ze hun goed hart laten zien, maar afwijzingen zijn zeer waarschijnlijk. Het lukt aardig, de vijfde persoon neemt me al meteen mee tot waar ik wou geraken, net op tijd om de halve finale van Portugal tegen Wales te kunnen zien in Würzburg. De volgende dag zet ik alleen aan. Een tram en een wandeling later kom ik bezweet aan op een tankstation. Uit een stad liften is namelijk veel moeilijker dan erin.  Na alweer een vlotte vragenronde neemt iemand me mee tot net onder Nürnberg. Andreas heeft me ondertussen bijna ingehaald en ik besluit hem op te wachten. Hoe gemakkelijk het ook ging, alleen is maar alleen en ik ben blij dat we even later met twee in een veel te kleine oude Oost-Duitse Trabant kunnen kruipen op weg naar München.

Maandag 8 augustus 2016 - Niš, Servië en Tbilisi, Georgië

"What's your point of view about Kosovo?"

Wat is uw idee over Kosovo? Het is een van de eerstgestelde vragen wanneer we in Servië onze plannen uit de doeken doen om in elk Europees land het hoogste punt te beklimmen. Het hoogste punt van Servië, Deravica, bevindt zich namelijk in Kosovo. We leggen uit dat we een lijst afwerken die goedgekeurd is door Guinness World Records (laten we de Amerikanen maar opdraaien voor onze ideeën over Kosovo) en beklimmen dus de Đeravica voor Kosovo en Midžor voor Servië, maar dat is voor later deze reis.

Sommige Serviërs, zeker de jongere generatie, staan open voor de mening van buitenstaanders. Maar wanneer we vertellen dat Kosovo in onze ogen onafhankelijk is, worden we meteen terechtgewezen. "Hoe kan je dat nu zeggen als niet elk land van de VN dat vindt." Het geeft stof tot nadenken. Onafhankelijkheid is immers voor elk land een moeilijk punt. Vele landen vielen immers ten prooi aan een oorlog in het kader van een onafhankelijk stukje land voor een of meerdere bevolkingsgroepen. Gezien de tijdsgeest kunnen we alleszins verwachten dat de inwoners van een land hier zelf over kunnen oordelen, een handig ja/nee-referendum is hier een knap voorbeeld van. Al zullen ze  daar in het Verenigd Koninkrijk misschien anders over oordelen.

Momenteel zitten we in Georgië. Ook al een land met verschillende conflictgebieden. "Hoe zit dat nu met Zuid-Ossetië en Abchazië?" vraag ik aan onze hosteleigenaar. Zijn reactie spreekt boekdelen, wanhoop wordt zichtbaar in zijn ogen en een kort maar duidelijk antwoord volgt: "Nothing really, the Russian army is still there." Abchazië en Zuid-Ossetië zijn twee (niet-)provincies van Georgië waar veel Russen wonen. De Russen hebben er dan ook kwistig Russische paspoorten uitgedeeld sinds het uiteenvallen van de Sovjet-Unie.

In tegenstelling tot Kosovo moeten we niet naar Abchazië of Zuid-Ossetië voor onze trip. De weg naar het hoogste punt van Europa in Rusland, leidt ons langs de grens van de provincie waar Rusland precies acht jaar geleden binnenviel. Een bezoekje aan de twee probleemgevallen van deze parel aan de Zwarte Zee zal voor later zijn. Eerst kijken wat de Russen en hun Mount Elbrus voor ons in petto hebben.

Thursday 30 June 2016 – Seyðisfjörður, Iceland

Hello Mr Murphy!

Too long; didn’t read? Here’s a quick scan of the main subjects of this post: glacier melts too quickly, Iceland won, Vueling sucks, luggage is lost, bad jokes, some dramatic thoughts on global warming, the quest for hosts.

And so it begins… The epic adventure we have anticipated for over a year, has finally come to a start. Just a recap for those of you who just got here: our goal is to reach the highest point of each European country within six months after our departure. Six months might be a tight fit, since the current Guinness World Record (it’s been done before!) stands at two and a half years. But we figured, if we’re taking on a Guinness World Record, let’s make it count and nibble two years of the existing record right away. Well, that was the plan. A couple of days before boarding our flight to Iceland, the news reached us that our first country’s highest point is currently inaccessible. Aaaaargh… Iceland’s Hvannadalshnùkur is the tip of Vatnajökull, Europe’s biggest glacier. That glacier is melting quicker than usually this time of the year, which means the crevasses are cracking up, ladders have broken off and crossing the glacier is a lot more hazardous. There simply is no climbing Hvannadalshnùkur these days and it looks like it might be closed for the rest of the season. Bummer.

So we left Belgium on a false start to Iceland. The cheapest route was to fly to Barcelona and then to Reykjavik with Vueling. We quickly noticed exactly WHY that was the cheapest option: Apparently Vueling doesn’t have the best of reputations when it comes to handling luggage. Our flight from Brussels took off with over an hour and a half of delay, whereas we only had about an hour and 45 minutes to make it to our connecting flight in Barcelona. We asked the cabin crew to warn the ground crew of our connecting flight, maybe they’d wait for us? ‘Impossible’, said the air hostess. Could she maybe make sure that we’d get to leave the plane before everybody else? Nope, no can do, no way José, no comprendo. So we tried to take matters in our own hands and were ready to run as soon as the fasten seatbelts sign was turned off. Unfortunately, half the plane had the same intention. You can’t blame them, the plane had been grounded for longer than it had been in the air and everybody was getting pretty frustrated. So there was a rush on those doors the second Barcelona’s airport was in sight. Our seats were in the back of the plane so we basically left the aircraft after everybody else. We frantically raced through the terminal, looking for an information board to point us in the direction of our flight to Reykjavik, hoping it hadn’t left yet.

It hadn’t! Andreas’ eagle-eye had spotted the flight and its gate right away. We were in luck, it was the same terminal and the gate was just a sprint away. Without even checking our boarding pass, the cabin crew urged us to our seats and we were on our way to Iceland’s midnight sun-drenched capital of Reykjavik. Two thoughts raced through our minds the entire flight (or at least the portion of it during which we were awake): has our checked luggage made it on board as swiftly as we had and would we fly into a nation celebrating its unexpected victory against England in the Euro 1/8 finals? The latter answer came mid-flight, when the cabin crew announced the 2-1 victory. Minor explosion of euphoria on board. The hopes for an equally positive response to the first thought vanished by the minute after we touched ground at Keflavik Airport. No rucksacks to be seen. We filled in a lost luggage file, insisted on the importance of those bags for our project – EVERYTHING is in there: spare clothes, toothbrush, tent, sleeping bags, climbing gear,… we only took the clothes on our backs and some electronics in the cabin – and desperately wanted the ground personal in Keflavik to start making phone calls, to no avail. An hour later we were greeted by Bjarki, our first Over The Top host, who seemed to be in a completely different world after the Icelandic victory. The patriotism (and beer) was soaking through his every word.

After a short night – whatever that means in the Icelandic summer – we started calling the company ourselves, only to find out there’s not much more to do than to wait this one out until they FIND our bloody bags. We asked them not to send them to Iceland, since we’ll be on our way to Denmark way before they could get there. Wait and see. Meanwhile, Bjarki recovered from Iceland’s biggest hangover in recent history and took us to Reykjavik’s centre. It’s a cute little town with a bizarre cathedral and lots of stuffed puffins. Good bakeries too, albeit somewhat expensive. We met with Irene, an Italian acquaintance of Andreas’, who happens to live in Iceland for the moment. Reykjavik was sunny so we enjoyed our time in good company before bidding farewell to Irene (thanks again for the support, Irene!) and driving off to the highway with Bjarki.

Iceland has pretty much one road, a two-lane ring road circumnavigating the whole island. In the west it’s pretty well-frequented and it wasn’t long before we found our first ride at the gas station Bjarki dropped us off at. It was a smooth ride with Robert, an Icelander who was driving up to his summer cottage along the ring road. Smooth for Yannick and me, that is. Andreas was a bit more shaken in the back of Robert’s van, though we quickly saw him drift off in what seemed to be a peaceful nap. Yannick, Robert and I had a great time laughing about Iceland’s trees (Do you know what to do when lost in a forest in Iceland? Stand up!) and the weather (if you don’t like the weather in Iceland, just wait five minutes!) before bidding farewell to Robert and meeting our next drivers: Lukas and Milda, a Lithuanian couple. Lithuania has always had a special place in my heart because of its hitchhike-friendliness. So I wasn’t really surprised about their offer to pick us up even before we could ask them. The rest of the day was smooth sailing to Höfn (pronounce ‘Hœpn’), even though we had to split up to fit in the cars. All the bad luck of the past days aside, we did enjoy driving along one of the world’s most scenic roads and even caught a glimpse of Hvannadalshnùkur, veiled in fog. It was a strange feeling to see the majestic glacier imposing itself in the Icelandic landscape, knowing it is such a fragile one and today more than ever it is subject to some major changes. Meanwhile, we can only anticipate the day we will get to climb it and let Europe’s biggest glacier unveil its secrets to us. The evidence of the changes Vatnajökull glacier is subject to, came only moments later as we stopped at an iceberg lagoon. There, before our very eyes, large chunks of ice surrender to gravity after thousands, if not millions, of years. The cracking sound of the ice as it breaks apart and throws itself into the water is hardly overdramatised as it is the soundtrack to global warming. No pleasant realisation.

In Höfn, our mission was to find a place to stay for the night. Remember, our tents and sleeping bags are still in Barcelona so spending the night outside was not an option. This is where I thought my years in boy scouting would come in handy. I had asked locals for hospitality on many occasions and had often been put up in either a hay attic, garage, pool house or in the guests room. I was determined to show my friends how it’s done but had to admit rather quickly that asking Icelanders for a bed, wearing nothing but the same old smelly clothes, was something different than showing up in a scouting uniform with a full-blown hiking rucksack. Our last option was to try to negotiate something at the local camping. We did manage to cut about 75% of the price of a cabin on the camping, which turned out to be our best option.

The next day, with about a third of the road to our port left ahead, we left Höfn pretty early. The eastern part of Iceland is a lot less frequented which meant longer waiting times. We found a convenient hitchhiking spot at the intersection of the ring road and started waiting the occasional passers-by out. Two hours and only a handful of cars later, a character named Sifus (no idea if I’m spelling that right but it’s what it sounded like) stopped and made it his mission to show us the beauty of his side of the island. Points for effort, but the fog decided otherwise. In the east, the ring road turns to a dirt track and we soon found ourselves almost offroading in the mountains. The fog had cleared up and boy was it beautiful! Sifus’ relations seemed to own almost everything on our way so he was eager to tell us all about it. But fatigue took over and we unconsciously took turns listening to his stories and sleeping it off, before arriving at his destination. One ride over the mountain pass later, Seydisfjördur was in sight and the game I failed at last night was about to begin, with better luck this time: I spoke to a couple of locals, explained the situation and before long we found ourselves with a camping palace above our heads, a steaming bowl of Icelandic meat soup in front of us and the very inappropriate jokes of our host to listen to. Boarding the Smyrill line towards Denmark the next day concludes this first leg of Over The Top and the first chapter of my bloggings. Maybe over the next days we’ll get to do some actual climbing? Fingers crossed.

Wednesday 6 July 2016 - Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Is our luck turning?

The past couple of days (since my last post) have been rather
nerve-wrecking. We boarded the boat from Seyðisfjörður to Hirtshals
in Denmark with some delay. Andreas’ mom was on the boat so it was nice
to see a familiar face after the past days’ ordeal. She had been cycling
around the Faroe Islands before joining us in Iceland and made for the
perfect guide aboard the Smyril Line. And so, after a couple of days
traversing wonderful Iceland, we were getting ready for two slow days at
sea. The boat proved to be rather basic (Oh what’s that? You want actual
SHEETS on your bed? Pay up, b**ch…) but we enjoyed not having to worry
about where to go next and where to sleep for the night. Mind you, we still
didn’t have any sleeping bags etc. so those worries were legit before.
Crossing the North Atlantic and the North Sea to the Faroe and Shetland
Islands also gave us time to watch Poland go down against Portugal during
the Eurocup. Needless to say we grabbed the opportunity not to annoy
our rather frustrated Polish cabinmate. The rest of our days aboard the
Smyril Line were filled with updating our website, planning ahead for the
next days and desperately trying to get something done from Vueling.
We even outsourced our quest to some friends in Belgium, just to make
sure there was some pressure behind our case (thank you Nils and Simon!),
to no direct avail. We started feeling kind of like our Polish friend.
When Denmark came in sight and we were rejoicing over leaving that boat,
Andreas’ mom well-willingly wanted to put us on the right track.
As Denmark’s highest peak (a whopping 170m high barnhill) was on her
way to Belgium, she gave us our first lift on the continent and even
doubled as our witness for the climb. We visited three high points in
Denmark, as there seems to be quite some confusion about the exact high
point. Even though the real mountains in Europe, the ones with glaciers
and crevasses and boulderfields and whatnot are infamously harder to
survey, there often is no doubt about their highest point. Ironically, in ‘flat’
countries which are a lot easier to survey, the measurements are often
completely wrong. Denmark is no exception to this rule. The Danes built a
lovely arch/tower on what they thought was the highest point of their
kingdom, until a clever local suggested that the ground of a farm a couple
of hundred of meters away might be higher. He was right. So of course we
had to visit both of those points just to avoid any discussion afterwards
and just for the sake of it we also went scrambling for a place a few
kilometres further on, which also has a claim for ‘highest point of Denmark’.
(There are two others, the summit of the Faroe Islands and the peak of
Greenland… Seriously Denmark, get your act together!). The problem with
this last point is that, although it IS higher than the two previous ones, it’s
an ancient burial mound that is man-made… Anyway, we got to the first
summit of our journey without any issues and were now well on our way to
lovely Copenhagen. Felix, our German driver got convinced we were bad
luck after we told him our stories and only moments later we saw a thick
curtain of smoke rising up from the centre of the bridge we were supposed
to cross to get to Copenhagen. Myth confirmed, there’s bad karma
following us around.

Fortunately, the Danish rescue services were impressively efficient and it
didn’t take long for the bridge to open up. Felix dropped us off at the
airport where he had to pick up his parents. A good opportunity for us to
inquire about our lost luggage… again. It looked good for a while as the lady
at the counter could reveal that our luggage had been cleared in Iceland
and should have been on its way to Copenhagen by now. Checking the
luggage room didn’t result in anything positive, as the clerk there urged us
to wait outside while he’d check again if our bags hadn’t come through.
With all due respect, I’m pretty sure I can spot my backpack from miles
away before he could. That backpack has been my faithful companion for
almost ten years and has joined me on travels through more or less forty
countries. It has seen me at my worst when I lost hope to catch a ride, got
doused in rain in the Scottish Highlands or as it scorched my shoulders into
blisters in the unholy sun of Corsica, and it has been with me as I saw
some of the wonders of the world and met the most amazing people in my
life. I spent many hours hand-stitching the flag patches of every
country I stepped foot in on its canvas and meticulously preparing it for a
next adventure. Needless to say, that backpack means a lot more to me
than just a convenient way of storing stuff during my travels. It grew to be a
living tell-tale, a patchwork of memories and a diary of the most precious
moments of my life so far. I don’t mean to sound overly dramatic, I’m just
trying to say that I was NOT ready to lose hope of ever seeing my
backpack again because the people at Vueling were too uninspired to
actually communicate between the airports of Brussels, Barcelona,
Reykjavik and Copenhagen, the four most-likely temporary residences
of our backpacks. Luckily, Simon in Belgium did his utmost best to get
people on the phone who actually knew and cared about what they were
doing. Meanwhile, we filled our days visiting the lovely capital of Denmark
and enjoyed spending some time with Sofie, our wonderful host. As we
grew bored with that, we decided to try our luck one more time at the
airport. Our backpacks were in plain sight as soon as the door to the
luggage room opened. We went live on Facebook with it because the
moment was so beautiful. I’m not much of a materialistic person, but
getting reunited with our climbing gear, fresh underwear and sleeping
bags meant we could finally get on with our adventure. Not to mention
how happy I was to swing my flag-spangled backpack over my shoulder
again… Without hesitation, we stretched our thumbs to reach southern
Germany as fast as we could, heavily loaded this time. Crossing Germany
west to east or the other way round is something I had done on several
occasions before and it always went remarkably swiftly. North to south was
a different matter, as it was the beginning of July and a lot of Germans and
Scandinavians packed their cars with kids, cool boxes and suitcases for
their holidays. It took two and a half days to reach
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a picturesque (sorry, Yannick…) Alpine town on
the Austrian border, the starting point of our ascension of Germany’s
highest ground: the Zugspitze.
Stay tuned to find out which surprises that one reserved for us!

1 juli 2016 – Ter hoogte van de Shetlandeilanden, Schotland

Als ik mij niet vergis, was 23 maart 2015 de dag waarop we de aanvraag indienden om het Guinness World Record 'snelste tijd om het hoogste punt van elk land in Europa te bereiken' te breken. Langzaamaan werd een droom een idee, een idee een voorbereiding. 15 maanden lang hebben we met ons drieën gewerkt aan alle aspecten van deze recordpoging: wanneer gaan we, langs waar, in welke volgorde, hoe gaan we dat betalen. De fondsenwerving kreeg vorm, een crowdfundingcampagne, infosessies voor investeerders, een lange zoektocht naar materiaalsponsors, zelf een website bouwen, goede doelen steunen, een vzw oprichten, fysiek aan de slag gaan: de voorbereiding voor een trip van deze omvang neemt algauw gargantueske proporties aan, maar dit is zo'n unieke kans dat we geen seconde twijfelen aan het hoger nut van onze inspanningen.

De laatste rechte lijn wordt ingezet – nog meer inspanningen om geld te verzamelen, een mediastrategie bedenken, afscheidsfeestjes, koffers maken, alles een laatste keer checken: het is 27 juni. Game on.

Maar op enkele weken tijd komt er vrijwel alleen slecht nieuws: onze gids voor de Mont Blanc haakt af, de berg in IJsland is gesloten wegens te warm en bijgevolg te gevaarlijk, het Russisch visum kan maar voor vijftien in plaats van dertig dagen, luchtvaartmaatschappij Vueling slaagt erin onze drie rugzakken vol kleren, klimgerief, slaapzakken, tenten, toiletzakken en ontelbaar veel andere absoluut noodzakelijke items kwijt te spelen, door een staking bij de Franse luchtverkeersleiders. Foetsjie!

Het zijn stuk voor stuk rake klappen, die de haalbaarheid van dit project in een ander perspectief plaatsten. Zonder materiaal kunnen we minstens tien van de bergen niet beklimmen. De Mont Blanc moeten we uitstellen tot september en dan meteen daarna spurten naar het hoge noorden om de harde en lange winter daar te vlug af te zijn. De Elbroes in Rusland wordt een eenmalige poging – die móet lukken.

Het record komt echter niet op de eerste plaats. We zullen er veel aan doen om het te halen, maar niet alles. Veiligheid en de unieke ervaringen primeren ruimschoots op een certificaat.

Want al die zaken, al die drempels die op onze weg komen, nemen absoluut niet de fantastische vooruitzichten weg die ons te wachten staan: met je beste vrienden zes maanden lang Europa doorkruisen, mensen ontmoeten, fenomenale landschappen aanschouwen, de slappe lach krijgen, vergeten plekjes ontdekken. Dit wordt ongetwijfeld een niet te vergeten periode, onze eigen odyssee.
En na amper vier volle dagen onderweg kan ik het nu al bevestigen: dit wordt geweldig. In IJsland kregen we van wildvreemden onderdak en eten, handdoeken en shampoo, rondleidingen. De lokale bevolking vervoegde ons aan tafel en leerde ons iets bij over het prachtige, prachtige boomloze land.  Zomaar, omdat mensen bereid zijn moeite te doen voor andere mensen.

Iemand die iets doet voor jou kan zoveel blijdschap genereren. Onze gezichten klaarden volledig op toen Guðjon uit Seyðisfjörður kwam aandraven met de grootste tent die ik al ooit zag en twee dozen diepgevroren IJslandse vleessoep met rijst. De hilarische momenten bij het opzetten van de tent maakten al meteen een diepe indruk op mij en is ook waar deze reis om draait: de goedheid van de medemens opnieuw ervaren en in de verf zetten.

Daar wil ik wel wat moeite voor doen.

6 juli 2016 - Göttingen, Duitsland

Terwijl Yannick onderdak vond in Würzburg en Bertrand bij een vriendin
logeert in Kassel, maak ik me klaar om straks opnieuw een beschutte plek te
zoeken om mijn tent te plaatsen. Op dit terrein langs de autostrade in
Göttingen, recht in het hart van Duitsland, bevinden zich een tankstation, een
groot wegrestaurant en zelfs een goedkoop uitziende, maar dure B&B. Het
leven op de Duitse Autobahn is kostelijk, zo bleek ook weer vandaag in de
zoektocht naar betaalbaar eten. De Alpen gauw doorworstelen en op naar
het Nabije Oosten me dunkt, alwaar het leven budgetvriendelijker is en de
mensen minder gehaast zijn. Dat neemt gelukkig niet weg dat indommelen
bij een ondergaande zon in een Nissan, die door een vriendelijke Duitser aan
een rustig tempo doorheen het golvende binnenland van Nedersaksen
wordt gestuurd, niet geheel onaangenaam is.

Laten we eerst even recapituleren. Negen dagen zijn we nu bezig met Over
The Top en voorlopig staat de teller op één berg. Hoewel dit gezien de
omstandigheden bij de start op Zaventem niet onvoorzien was, hadden we
toch graag al wat verder gestaan. Zoals reeds alom geweten, kon de
beklimming in IJsland niet doorgaan, omwille van het wereldwijd nog steeds
zo hard ontkende
global warming. Hoewel dit fenomeen zich in België
voorlopig beperkt tot iets straffere onweders, iets meer regen, iets warmere
zomers en vooral het uitblijven van een deftige dosis sneeuw, konden we nu
met eigen ogen aanzien hoe snel die 'wereldwijde opwarming' zich
handhaaft in minder klimatologisch middelmatige gebieden. Bij het
aanschouwen van een meer vol ijsbergen, in het zuidoosten van IJsland,
brak een ijsberg voor onze ogen in tweeën – een aanzicht dat meteen
een wrang gevoel in mij naar boven bracht. En het zet ook nog meer in de
verf waarom we voor Over The Top ervoor kiezen om zo ecologisch mogelijk
te reizen; hopelijk zet het andere mensen aan tot het overpeinzen van hun
reisgewoontes en kunnen we met z'n allen de druk die we op onze planeet
uitoefen wat proberen verlichten.

En het zorgt ook voor een pak leuke ontmoetingen. Meteen al bij de start zag
ik Bjarki terug – twee jaar geleden ontmoette ik hem tijdens een
AFS-project in Letland –, slechts luttele uren na de overwinning van
IJsland tegen Engeland. Het was vier uur 's morgens (we hadden net enkele
uren gespendeerd (lees: verspeeld) op de luchthaven van Reykjavik om
onze verdwenen rugzakken te lokaliseren), klaarlicht, maar Bjarki zat nog
steeds in de roes van de overwinning. Na een korte nacht nam hij ons mee
op ontdekkingstocht door Reykjavik, in het gezelschap van Irene, een andere
AFS-bekende. Onze IJslandse vriend bracht ons nog even op de goede weg
en dan kon het liften echt starten. We hadden twee dagen tijd om de 650
kilometer naar Seyðisfjörður, in het oosten van het eiland te overbruggen.
Algauw konden we een eindje meerijden met Robert, een rit die ik
spendeerde in de laadruimte van zijn camionette. Een Litouws koppel, een
Amerikaans koppel en twee Zwitserse dames later bereikten we ongeveer
simultaan Höfn (spreek uit: 'heup'), reeds 350 kilometer in de juiste richting.

Die richting is echter niet moeilijk te volgen in IJsland dat, buiten de regio
rond de hoofdstad, maar één noemenswaardige baan telt, toepasselijk
genummerd '1'. Ze pakten het daar in het verre noorden ook slim aan, want
die weg loopt meteen langs verschillende attracties: zo kregen we de mooie
Skogafoss-watervallen te zien, oneindige magnifieke vergezichten, verre
blikken op grote gletsjers en ook bovengenoemd ijsbergmeer.

Höfn werd ons reeds van ver voorgesteld als dé stopplaats in het zuidoosten,
maar onze verwachtingen werden stevig de kop ingedrukt bij de aanblik van
enkele tankstations, twee straten, enkele huizen en één boot. Gezien het feit
dat we zonder bagage vertrokken zijn uit Reykjavik, moesten we zoeken naar
een slaapplaats en dat bleek al snel niet eenvoudig. Het beste voorstel dat
we kregen was een hotelkamer voor 60 euro per persoon. Ternauwernood
richtten we ons tot de lokale camping in de hoop dat zij ons iets konden
aanbieden. Je tent plaatsen kost er zo'n 15 euro per persoon en een
overnachting in een chalet bleek 150 euro te kosten, een volledig
weekbudget voor ons! Maar na het horen van ons verhaal en enkele smeken
de blikken van onzentwege bood de bazin van de camping ons 70% korting
aan om in de chalet te overnachten. We knikten en staken de schuld van de
kosten dan maar op Vueling, die onze bagage ondertussen steeds meer
behandelde met wat ik graag de nmp-houding noem: niet mijn probleem.

We profiteerden dan maar van het gratis internet bij Olis, maakten kennis met
enkele lokale meisjes die even rond ons kwamen hangen, hesen de
IJslandse vlag op een boot en genoten dan van zachte bedden na een lange
dag. De ochtend begon met een fikse, maar prachtige wandeling terug naar
weg nummer 1, waar het verkeer ondertussen zo goed als stil was gevallen.
Slechts om de 10 minuten passeerde een wagen, veelal toeristen met een
volle achterbank, tot Sifus ons na dik twee uur duimen, oppikte voor een
lange rit, helemaal tot Egilstaðir. We merkten al snel dat er in onze chauffeur
een flukse gids verborgen zat, die naarmate de rit vorderde, steeds meer de
bovenhand kreeg. Hij wist voor zowat elk gebouw dat we passeerden wie er
woonde, gaf mee welke vissen er in welk meer te vinden waren en raasde
ondertussen met zijn huurauto over de steile weg, waar het asfalt plaats had
gemaakt voor grind.

We raakten makkelijk in Seyðisjörður en we moesten maar één koppel aan te
spreken om alles te vinden wat we die avond nodig hadden: Guðjon en zijn
vrouw bezorgden ons een kasteel van een tent, twee grote potten IJslandse
vleessoep, een kilo rijst, beddengoed én hij betaalde nog eens de camping
voor ons. Douchen en deftig eten, het is soms een godsgeschenk.

De boot naar Denemarken kan je moeilijk een hoogvlieger anoemen. Kleine
kamers waar men nauwelijks in past, internet zo slecht als je het maar kan
voorstellen (16 euro voor 30 uur!) en zeer weinig entertainment aan boord.
De live te volgen uitschakeling van de Belgen tegen Wales en het gratis
middagbuffet hielden ons recht.

Niet geheel ontoevallig bevond mijn moeder zich ook aan boord van de
Norröna van Smyril Line en zij bracht ons na aankomst meteen naar Møllehøj,
ons eerste hoogste punt en de officiële start van onze recordpoging.
Na de nodige plichtplegingen (bewijsmateriaal verzamelen,
getuigen zoeken) liftten we naar Kopenhagen. Daar moesten we tijdens deze
trip eigenlijk helemaal niet zijn, maar de vriendelijke mensen van Vueling
hadden nog een paar leuke verrassingen voor ons in petto! En aangezien
onze bagage volgens de website van Vueling nog steeds onvindbaar was,
gingen we even de tijd nemen om het gevecht persoonlijk te maken. Op naar
Kaldrup, de luchthaven van Kopenhagen. Het duurde echter niet lang voor
onze potjes begonnen over te koken...

Zaterdag 16 juli 2016– Bern, Zwitserland

Nog even inpikken op de laatste post: na acht dagen zoeken, vragen en kijken kregen we van Vueling eindelijk onze bagage terug in Kopenhagen. Hopelijk duurt het geen maanden voor we een bedrag terugkrijgen van onze schadeclaim.

Na al het tijdverlies van die eerste week, zetten we zo rap mogelijk koers naar het zuiden van Duitsland. Het liften ging vlot en twee dagen later stonden we met ons drieën aan de voet van de Zugspitze in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Eindelijk konden we beginnen klimmen en hadden we echt het gevoel dat we een beetje opschieten met ons record. De tweede poging op de Zugspitze was de goede: we hadden het eerst een beetje onderschat, want de klim naar boven duurt maar liefst een uur of negen. De afdaling erbij nemen zou te lang duren en een echt aanval op het lichaam zijn, dus nemen we handig de kabelbaan terug naar beneden. Wat een ongelooflijk surreëel zicht als je na urenlang steil bergop wandelen (deels door de sneeuw) plots begroet wordt door een bende Japanners met blinkende Nikons en dikke Amerikanen met grote pinten in hun hand. De echte top van de Zugspitze bevindt zich nog 10 meter hoger dan het toeristische platform – maar niet zomaar 10 meter. Een zeer steile sneeuwwand (met touw te beklimmen), een verticale ladder en wat rotsklauteren houdt de meeste toeristen op veilige afstand. Wat niet wegneemt dat er een heuse file ontstaat op dat kleine stukje klimmen.

Na de platgelopen Duitse topper zetten we koers richting de veel minder bezochte Grauspitz, de hoogste berg van Liechtenstein. Met 2560 meter ook niet te onderschatten, vooral omdat er geen pad naar de top loopt en je je eigenlijk zelf een weg moet banen naar boven. Om het aangekondigde slecht weer voor te blijven, volgde de beklimming al meteen twee dagen na de Zugspitze, iets waar onze kuiten liever nee tegen hadden gezegd. Door het extreem warme weer, de steile bergwand en de vele kilometers werd het een kleine afmattingstocht. Uiteindelijk waren we meer dan twaalf uur onderweg, zonder echte pauzes, waarvan de laatste twee uur in de striemende regen.

Gelukkig hadden we nu enkele vrije dagen om naar uit te kijken. Normaal gezien zouden we nog een andere top proberen doen, maar door de vertraging na de verloren bagage konden we niet anders dan rustig richting Chamonix liften, waar we op maandag 18 juli een alpinismetraining zullen krijgen!

Eerst konden we genieten in Trin, een charmant dorpje, weggemoffeld in de bergen van Graubünden, in het zuidoosten van Zwitserland. Tante Katrien en nonkel Edi hebben ons daar echt in de watten gelegd met schotels vol lokaal eten (Kapuns), Tibetaanse klankenschalentherapie en een traktatie bij een piekfijne pizzeria! Reuzebedankt!

Op dit moment proberen we om zo weinig mogelijk tijd door te brengen in Zwitserland, dit magnifieke maar onwaarschijnlijk peperdure land. Je kan gerust stellen dat zowat alles minstens dubbel zo veel kost als in België, en gezien de beperkingen van ons budget stellen we het hier voorlopig met boterhammen met choco en een klein pastaatje 's avonds. Plots zijn we allen vegetariër.

Gelukkig kunnen we bij de immer goedgezinde Laurent blijven slapen, die ons de interessantste gratis plekjes van Bern laat zien.
De hoofdstad van Zwitserland is echt een aangenaam stadje, met broze gebouwen van natuursteen en enkele beren die langs de oevers van de Aare wandelen – nie gezeverd. Het is de ideale rustplek voor onze training in de Alpen start en Bern voorziet uitermate goed in leuke attracties voor wie graag even gaat afkoelen: de zeer snel stromende en ijskoude rivier de Aare is perfect doorwaadbaar en brengt je met het glijbaangevoel in een oogwenk twee kilometer stroomafwaarts, waar mooie parken wachten om te zonnen.

Monday 8 august 2016 - Tbilisi, Georgia

Georgia on my mind, my mind on Georgia

Hello again!

This post is long overdue. My apologies for that. The past few weeks have been somewhat of a rat-race across the continent and over a couple of summits, way too much to describe narratively. Add to that the lack of decent internet connection on the road and things start to pile up quicker than I care to process. Which is why after a couple of days I started wondering how I could possibly make a relevant blogpost about our endeavours, without risking to bore you with what may look like a rewritten Testament. Right now Andreas, Yannick and I are in the capital of Georgia, on our way to Europe’s absolute highest, Mt Elbrus in Russia. Tbilisi, a hidden gem in the Caucasus, has inspired me to write a letter to my old Boyscouts group in Ghent, coincidentally named Saint-Georges. I found it cunning to include the translation of that letter in this blogpost, as I think it offers a few insights in what we’re doing and why. However, I promised our readers not to bore them with endless ramblings so this translation is somewhat abbreviated. I left out some of the passages that are less relevant for a non-scouting public and the information that you are already aware of.

Anyways, here it goes:

                                                                                                                                         Tbilisi, Sunday 7 August 2016

Letter to my scoutfriends of Saint-Georges

Dear friends

I’m writing to you from a small kitchen in Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. This former Soviet republic, far-flung and unknown to many, has pleasantly surprised me and encouraged me to direct these words to you. The ever-changing sceneries we’ve traversed today have left me speechless on many occasions and the people of Georgia are remarkably hospitable and generous, even if they seem to come on a little strong at first encounter. Having spent several hours in the oven-like back of a potato farmer’s minivan, the farmer started filling a plastic bag of his goods before blatantly pushing it into our arms and taking off into the Georgian dust tracks. Not a chance of refusing his gift, not even the watermelon that came with it! Their alphabet, of unknown origins, reminds me of alchemists’ formulas from Peyo’s comics. The city is clean, the infrastructure up to date and the architecture, witness of a tumultuous past, suggests a proud population. Moreover, everything leads to suggest a certain adoration of a knight in saddle, armed with a halberd which he decisively plunges into the mouth of a dragon. A familiar image, isn’t it? The legendary knight Saint-Georges isn’t just the patron saint of England and Scouting (Baden-Powell being British as well), he also gave his name to this small Caucasian country of which he became the national symbol. The Georgian flag is inspired of the red cross on white canvas, which also borders our neckerchiefs, and many a statue of his effigy adorn the boulevards of the capital. Right now I am savouring the national beer, cunningly named Saint-Georges. The local currency, the Lari, also depicts the knight. In short, our patron saint is omnipresent here, but that isn’t the only reason why I am inspired to write to you today. If I’m in this welcoming country today, that is thanks to you. I will explain that bold statement later on in this letter, for now I think it’s time to explain the reason why I’m here.

Over a year ago, a bold but loose idea became a tangible plan: with my friends Andreas and Yannick, two former classmates, we projected to cross the European continent east to west and north to south by hitchhiking, all the while climbing the highest point of every country on our path. Forty-for mountains lay between us and a new Guinness World Record. To add some purpose to our adventure, we commit to writing and filming en-route and to collecting some funding for three good causes that we’d like to support.


So we left about six weeks ago, first off to Iceland, before heading back to the mainland. After summiting the rather modest highest peak of Denmark, we stretched out our thumbs towards the Alps. The summits of Germany and Liechtenstein proved to be rather strenuous treks. Next up, we spent several days in the Mont Blanc massif for an intensified alpinism training, courtesy of our friend Glenn. The techniques we learnt on that occasion proved to be of vital importance when we went up to Austria’s Grossglockner (3798m) and Slovenia’s Triglav (2864m) later on in July. Finishing off with the Alps for now, we rushed towards Istanbul, the Turkish gem at the gates of the Orient, before pursuing our voyage to the incontestable Mount Elbrus, 5642m of pure Russian agony. Our visa for Russia kicking in on Wednesday 10 August, we’re taking some time to take the necessary preparations during our stay in this neighbouring country of Russia. Meanwhile I just heard that the explorer scouts of our section have successfully climbed Moldoveanu Peak (2544m) during their hiking camp in Romania. Bravo! That mountain is scheduled for October for us, I’m excited to tackle it and will be thinking of you while up there!

Of course, over the course of these past few weeks of mountaineering and hitchhiking over 500 km a day, some havoc was bound to happen. From the first week off, our backpacks got lost in transit. We were to cross Iceland without sleeping bags, spare clothes, tents, climbing gear, matrasses etc. In those moments, one is to test its creativity in order to survive the harsh conditions. Zugspitze (2962m) in Germany and Grauspitz (2599m) in Liechtenstein truly assaulted our calves, under a scorching sun. The sweet temptation of climbing aboard a train or coach, bringing us to certain destination, is pretty strong when a well-intended driver suggests to take us to a train station after spending many unfruitful hours by the side of the road. But we chose to make this voyage by hitchhiking, not out of avarice, but rather in an attempt to discover the patchwork of cultures, religions and languages that make up the European continent through the eyes of the locals, before symbolically reaching a birds eye view of the country from its summit. It’s the pleasure, maybe even the desire, of daring to give ourselves over to the kindness of the unknown and the basic confidence that it will not deceive us. Maybe it’s also a reaction to the hasty lifestyle that is taking over. We’re feeling so little elated these days upon climbing aboard an airplane taking us to an unknown part of the world in just a couple of hours, as if it were a hermetic time-capsule teleporting us into another world, that we’ve lost the sense of wonder in regard to the vastness of our planet. That, and everything else I’m describing here, is what I learned in Scouting and I’m overjoyed to put it all to good use during this adventure.

A scout on patrol or an explorer hiking abroad must also look for a place to spend the night. Oftentimes, they would knock on a door in a designated village, asking for hospitality and moments later find themselves nestled in a hay-attic or in a cushiony bed generously offered by the inhabitants. Once again, it’s during those encounters that one truly discovers how a local lives his life, what he eats while sharing his meal, what’s on his mind while having lengthy discussions, what’s distinctive about his lifestyle and what makes him resemble us. It’s exactly what I’m living day by day while crossing countries we only know from prejudices.

Hiking, hitchhiking, being on the lookout for a place to spend the night, comradery,… everything I’m doing these days reminds me of one or another anecdote from a scouting camp. And I’m convinced that will not only be the case during this adventure, but all along the life of a scout. Once a scout, always a scout.

And that concludes it for now, I’ve got five kilos of potatoes to peel…

Scoutesque regards

Avocette Réfléchie

alias Bertrand Goethals

The integral letter (in French) is available with Saint-Georges’ Boyscouts Ghent.

Woensdag 17 augustus 2016 - Kabardino-Balkarië, Rusland

De geur van de uitlaatgassen maken mij misselijk. We zitten in een aftandse Lada alweer op weg naar Terskol aan de voet van Elbrus. Onze eerste poging is mislukt. Het resultaat van hevige wind en sneeuw, vermoeidheid en ziekte. Tijdens de nacht van  zondag op maandag zijn we om 1 uur opgestaan onder een geweldige sterrenhemel en een bijna volle maan. De hemellichamen zouden ons niet lang vergezellen. Na nog geen halfuur klimmen begint de wind op te zetten. Iets later lossen de dikke wolken hun lading sneeuw en zijn apocalyptische omstandigheden een feit. We zijn Flandriens, dus we zetten door. Een dik uur later komt de ontnuchtering. We kijken hoe ver we al zijn en beseffen dat we na meer dan twee uur stappen nog niet voorbij de belangrijke Pashtukov rotsen zijn, we zijn nog niet eens in de buurt en zullen kijken wanneer we de kaap van 5000 meter hoogte overschrijden. Dan zullen we beslissen of we naar de top gaan. Helaas, Andreas is geveld door ziekte en bereikt stilaan een dieptepunt in zijn energievoorraad. Ikzelf duizel heen en weer en waggel door de windstoten meer van voor naar achter en van links naar rechts dan gewoon rechtdoor te wandelen. Het is ondertussen iets na vier uur 's nachts. De zon komt al piepen dus de zichtbaarheid wordt beter. We dalen vermoeid af richting tent en besluiten een paar rustdagen te nemen alvorens we weer de berg op trekken.

Dat het geen lachertje zou worden wisten we. Urenlang door de sneeuw ploegen tegen een steile helling, daarvoor moet je tot het uiterste gaan. De rust was dus zeer welgekomen om later de Russische reus te bedwingen.

Zondag 21 augustus 2016 - Nalchik, Rusland

De zon staat hoog aan de hemel. Naast ons torent de East Summit van Elbrus boven ons uit. Het kleine broertje van de West Summit is maar 20 meter kleiner, toch vormt hij geen grote hindernis op onze tocht. Wanneer we ter hoogte van het zadel (het laagste punt tussen de twee toppen) waren, zijn we immers linksaf geslagen naar het westen. Hij vormt dan misschien geen grote hindernis, zijn bergflank volgen voor de komende uren is zeker niet het leukste deel aan deze beklimming. Het zijn de minst steile hectometers, maar op 5000 meter is niets gemakkelijk. Het is meer strompelen dan wandelen naar het zadel. Tien meter, rust. Vijftien meter, uitblazen. Dertig meter verder ploffen we uitgeteld neer. De zon is genadeloos. We zitten dan wel hoger dan de Mont Blanc, koud hebben we zeker niet. Ik speel wat kledingstukken uit, Waarom had ik ook alweer die regenbroek aan? We steken een handvol rozijnen naar binnen en zien het zadel naderen om de hoek. De ontnuchtering volgt snel. Het wordt vaak vermeld als een desillusionerend moment wanneer je het zadel in zicht krijgt. In de verte kruipen tientallen mensen een steile sneeuwwand op. Ondertussen is het al vrij laat, ik besef dat de top halen voor de middag onmogelijk wordt. Helemaal afdalen tot de vallei misschien ook. Toch denkt geen haar op mijn hoofd eraan om nog een nacht door te brengen in mijn tent op 4000 meter hoogte. Ik wil weg van deze berg.

Mijn rugzak vliegt de kant in. Ik zal de laatste hectometers wel op adrenaline en koppigheid afleggen. Niemand van Over The Top denkt nu nog aan opgeven. We geraken er wel, traag of snel. Het laatste deel voelt comfortabeler. Zaten we 3000 meter lager, dan waren we nu Samson en Gertliedjes aan het neuriën of quotes uit Dikkenek aan het oprakelen. We vorderen gestaag en kruisen de tientallen mensen die we eerder naar boven zagen klauteren. Niemand twijfelt of we het wel halen. "Bijna, proficiat!" of: "Nog een kwartier, jullie zijn er bijna!" Wat zijn die Russen toch sympathiek eens ze boven de 5000 meter zijn, waren ze dat ook maar op de weg of in de steden.

"Nog zeven vlaggetjes tot aan de top, nog zes vlaggen, nog vijf ..." Een trucje dat ik altijd toepas tijdens het fietsen als ik steendood zit na 110 kilometer is het tellen van dingen die ik tegenkom. Nog drie lantaarnpalen, nog twee en dan de laatste alvorens ik aan mijn laatste uitbolkilometers begin. Tijdens het klimmen werkt het even goed. Gedachten op nul, gewoon tellen. Onderweg heb ik al veertien keer van 1 tot 100 en weer naar 1 geteld. Een handigheidje dat ik graag overnam van Rik uit zijn liftavontuur naar Mount Everest waarin hij het tellen als remedie tegen wagenziekte gebruikte.
Mijn gedachten dwalen af en plots is er niets meer te zien. Geen sneeuw, geen berg, geen vlaggetjes. Ik merk enkel Bertrand op en wil nog snel de GoPro klaarzetten voor de aankomst van Andreas. De komende tien minuten wordt er geknuffeld, gelachen, geroepen, foto's getrokken, traantjes gelaten en natuurlijk GPS-coördinaten genomen voor Guinness. We did it! We staan op het hoogste punt van Europa! Hét symbool van onze reis, dé nummer 1 van onze lijst en dé zwaarste beproeving uit ons leven.

We zijn kapot, maar de grijns op ons gezicht staat er voor zeer lang. De afdaling zal nog lang zijn. We halen de kabelbaan niet meer op tijd en zelfs wat zwart geld onder tafel helpt niet. 6000 roebels? Nee sorry dan liever nog wat meer te voet. Aan het volgende kabelbaanstation nog minder geluk, zelfs onderhandelen gaat niet. Ondertussen is het negen uur 's avonds en hebben we net een dikke 3 kilometer afgedaald op een rotsachtige weg met losliggende stenen. We zijn kapot, maar als de nood het hoogst is! Het laatste stuk kunnen we mee met een gondel naar beneden. We zijn duizend roebel armer, maar  die man is onze held van de dag, althans na wijzelf natuurlijk! Elbrus is van ons! Het resultaat van een week lang slecht slapen, naar boven klauteren, ijskoud water drinken, slecht eten, hoofdpijn en vooral veel koud lijden! Nu maar hopen dat die tenen weer wat gevoel krijgen.

Sunday 21 august 2016 - Nalchik, Russia


Melodramatics aside, I feel blessed to be able to write this new blogpost. While my nose is peeling and my lips are swollen with blisters from the scorching mountain sun and the extremities of my toes are still a bit numb from the awkwardly uncomfortable plastic mountain boots, my fingers are the only body parts that are not begging for a couple of days rest after our second summit attempt at Russia’s Mount Elbrus (5642m). One of our friends from ‘48 Peaks Later’, our British competitors at reaching the highest point of every European country, has been hospitalised with first degree frostbite in the fingers shortly after their summit attempt. They reached the wind- and snow-beaten summit of Elbrus last week, a couple of days before our second attempt, in conditions that seemed harsher than ours. We knew that two elements are decisive for a successful summit attempt at Russia’s highest: the weather and the acclimatisation. Being here on a two-weeks visa, the chances of having just one shot at the summit were pretty big. Hands-on preparedness was key, should we wish to take

full advantage of a weather window. We had to be sure our bodies could deal with the low oxygen level as we ascended the mountain, be ready for long hikes in the snow with heavy loads on our backs, prepare for several days of bivouacking at high altitude etc., all in the interest of optimising our chances for a successful summit day as soon as the conditions were in our favour. But first, we had to reach Terskol, the village in the Baksan valley which operates as the logistic centre of pretty much every Elbrus expedition.

Elbrus lies in the Kabardino-Balkaria Republic, a region in south-western Russia surrounded by places which our mothers don’t like to hear about: Beslan, South-Ossetia, Chechnya, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Abkhazia, Crimea and so on. Being lovers of unusual destinations and off-the-beaten-track-travel, we were excited but also a bit apprehensive of leaving the pleasant surprise that was Georgia and throwing ourselves into the claws of Russia. From the moment we approached the border, we had a feeling Russia was not likely to be handled like any of the other countries on our journey. A ridiculously long line of cars announced a strenuous border crossing from miles ahead. We decided not to waste any time and skip the line on foot, having no trouble at all leaving Georgia. A quick stamp in our passports and ditto smile from the lady at the custom booth later, we were in the two miles or so of no-man’s-land on the Caucasian watershed. This is where the trouble begins. To reach the other side of the border, one is to cross two tunnels in the no-man’s-land. Given the debilitating slowness of the line of cars at this point, it would be a much more comfortable option to go about it on foot. Both tunnels had a sidewalk anyway! But as soon as we approached the stretch of road leading to the first tunnel, a customs officer sped our way and made clear we were to find a car to take us to the Russian side of the border. Enforced hitchhiking, never seen that before. The spontaneity of hitchhiking, one of the aspects that I enjoy the most, made way for an odd sense of pressure as the line of cars steadily flowed by and we couldn’t manage to find any drivers willing to take us just to the border crossing. Can’t blame them, most of them had been waiting in line for several hours and just wanted to move on. Eventually, a guy that looked like the embodiment of all Russian clichés showed little interest in three smelly Belgians but nevertheless he didn’t mind the idea of us trying to force our way into the backseat of his Lada. We understood he went to pick up some Georgian honey with his father and was now on the way back to mother Russia. We managed to it ourselves and our backpacks in the car, barely leaving space to breathe. But it didn’t matter that much, as we were now finally on our way to the highest summit of our journey.

As we slowly scuffed our way to the final border check, our driver got visibly agitated and decided to adopt a bit more of an adventurous driving style, passing by a couple of hundreds of other Lada’s and officials’ vehicles. We didn’t mind at all, as it caused a fresh breeze to enter the car and more importantly, we made fast progress to the border! We had arranged our visa for Russia in advance and expected the border procedure to be rather swift. Naïve, maybe. The lady at the counter didn’t seem to make much trouble upon scrupulously checking our passports. Meanwhile, our driver made an impatient impression. We assured him that it’d be over in no time. Suddenly, another custom official urged us to go and wait somewhere else. At this point, our passports were still in process so we protested a little, until somebody who spoke French came and ask us the same old questions: where are we from, what are we doing here, how long will we be here, why didn’t we fly into Moscow… It wasn’t until his colleague, a cute Caucasian official with a resting-bitch face, came in to join in the questionnaire that we realised this may take a while. I think her asking “Why don’t you go climb mountains at home?” was the trigger for us to feel uninvited. Some more explanations later, showing them our business cards and explaining the whole project, they must have felt tired of it and uninterestedly sent us back to the waiting Lada. Our driver muttered some Russian phrases that we couldn’t make sense of, so we stepped in the car and drove off to Vladikavkaz, the capital of North-Ossetia. Moments before reaching the city, we pulled over, took our stuff out of the car and got ready to bid farewell to our driver. He repeated the words he said at the border, only this time with more conviction and rubbing his thumb over his index finger. We understood he wanted us to pay for the ride, something we agreed not to do in the spirit of hitchhiking. As we couldn’t communicate very well, he called someone who speaks a little English on the phone. The story was that because of the long border procedure, he had missed his train and now wanted us to pay for a new ticket. We refused to do that, since we felt it wasn’t our fault the border checks were so painfully inefficient and utterly senseless. He had waited in line for several hours, did our fifteen minutes of bureaucratic shenanigans really make the difference? Or did he smell an opportunity of making some easy baksheesh? We weren’t looking for trouble on our first day in this reputable country, but handing cash over was out of the question, we simply didn’t have any. We offered him eight Georgian Lari, the equivalent of three euros, which was literally everything we had in cash. He desperately tried to convince us to step back into the car, repeating the same phrase over and over again, which ended in the word ‘police’. Of course, being taken to the police on our first day in Russia was not something to look forward to. There was no way we were getting back in the car with him, so he started to pull on our backpacks and became a little too aggressive for our liking, threatening to take us to the police. Eventually, after unsuccessful attempts at taking us to the police with him, he got back in his car and shouted ‘wait here!’ at us. Moments after he drove off into the distance, we pulled ourselves and our backpacks together and disappeared in the other direction, wondering what he was off to. Was he going to get the police? Or maybe some friends of his? We didn’t want to take chances on this one and hopped into the first car stopping for us, never to see the unfriendly face of our first Russian driver again…

Zondag 21 augustus – Nalchik, Rusland

Ik steek nog even mijn hoofd door de ingang van mijn tent – Bertrand heeft nog wat kamillethee in de aanbieding – en zie tot mijn ontsteltenis dat de zichtbaarheid beperkt wordt tot zo'n tien meter. Het gaat toch weer niet sneeuwen? Het is 19u30 en tijd om te gaan slapen. De zon probeert nog krampachtig te schijnen, maar raakt al niet meer over de horizon en al zeker niet meer door de mist. Ik ril. Op iets meer dan 4000 meter hoogte is het moeilijk om je warm te houden, zeker met de slaapzakken die we hebben. Ze gaan wel tot 0°, maar buiten is het kouder. Ik heb amper gegeten overdag, maar heb toch geen honger. Door te weinig te drinken, krijg ik hoofdpijn, maar ik heb geen zin in half bevroren water. Moe ben ik ook al niet. Ik probeer nergens aan te denken, maar ik hoor Yannick en Bertrand in de verte lachen met quotes uit Franse films en Het Eiland. In mijn gedachten lach ik mee. Op de een of andere manier val ik in slaap, voor even. Na middernacht lukt dat niet meer. Ik heb thermisch ondergoed, een lange broek en twee truien aan, heb me volledig in mijn slaapzak gewikkeld, maar heb nog steeds het gevoel in een diepvries te liggen. Hoe koud wordt het hier eigenlijk? Heel mijn lichaam schudt, de hele nacht. Om 4u 's morgens gaat de wekker, maar ik zag hem al uren aankomen. Misschien zijn het wel de zenuwen die we wakker hielden. Dit is het dus. Een van de belangrijkste dagen van onze hele reis: de beklimming van de Elbrus begint nu. Met ongelooflijk veel tegenzin rits ik mijn slaapzak open om nog meer kleren aan te trekken. Ik voel me niet zo goed. Een mengelmoes van angst, zenuwen en verantwoordelijkheid maakt zich van mij meester. Eigenlijk mogen we niet falen, niet zoals laatste maandag. We hebben een poging gewaagd de top te bereiken, maar waren eigenlijk nog niet geacclimatiseerd en ook het aangekondigde goede weer bleef uit: na een dikke twee uur maakten we al rechtsomkeer, murw geslagen door een sneeuwstorm en hoogteziekte. Ik doe mijn tent open: duizenden sterren zien hoe ik mijn stijgijzers aan mijn schoenen bevestig. Ik ben er niet zo gerust in. Wat als iemand hoogteziekte krijgt? Wat als het weer omslaat? Wat als we fysiek niet sterk genoeg zijn? Ik huiver bij de gedachte aan een mislukking. Tijdens deze reis ben ik al redelijk wat kilo's verloren, maar het is nog steeds niet mogelijk mijn lichaam te tonen als voorbeeld bij woorden als 'mager', 'sterk', 'atletisch'... Bij de start van elke berg hoop ik vurig dat ik niet de oorzaak van opgave zal zijn en ik voel bij het opstaan al bij voorbaat schaamte. Ik kijk naar boven en zie voor het eerst in een week de top van de Elbrus liggen, ver weg. Tientallen lichtjes bevinden zich reeds voorbij halverwege en ik besef opnieuw dat we vrij laat vertrekken – geen tijd te verliezen! Een kleine twee uur later bevinden we ons bij de Pastukhova Rocks, een referentiepunt onderweg op zo'n 4650 meter; hoger dan dit punt zijn we nog niet geweest op de Elbrus. We checken even bij elkaar: iedereen voelt zich nog goed en we zijn op schema. Aan dit tempo bereiken we rond 11 uur de top en zijn we op tijd terug voor de kabelbaan naar het dal. We zetten de weg verder, maar het is steil, zeer steil. Op de Elbrus ligt geen mooi zigzagpaadje, men gaat er gewoon rechtdoor, recht naar boven. De route wordt geëffend door een horde sneeuwscooters en reusachtige sneeuwploegen die toeristen voor een aardige som tot op 5000 meter brengen. Een mooie bijdrage tot de vuilnisbelt die het dak van Europa is! De eerste 400 meter van de klim is de Elbrus een stinkende mozaïek van onafgewerkte hutten, afval, vuile toiletten, ronkende dieselmotoren en losliggend bouwmateriaal, waar bedriegers geld komen vragen voor het nationaal park dat gratis toegankelijk is. Het is een regelrechte schande. We klimmen verder en naderen de magische 5000-metergrens. Hoger dan dat ben ik zelf ook nog niet geweest en ik voel wat adrenaline in mij opkomen. Dat was hoognodig, want ons tempo is ondertussen zwaar gezakt. De inspanningen betalen we op deze hoogte driedubbel en ik heb het gevoel dat ik constant buiten adem ben, zonder diep te gaan. Ik loop ondertussen voorop en zoek een stapritme dat ik langer dan dertig seconden kan volhouden. Ik voel de hete adem van de andere leden van Over The Top in mijn nek. Opnieuw denk ik aan mijn lichaamsbouw. Ben ik hen aan het ophouden? Lopen ze achter mij omdat ze mij anders moeten achterlaten? Ik probeer zo lang mogelijk door te gaan, maar zijg na enkele minuten uitgeput neer in de sneeuw. Tot mijn verbazing zie ik Yannick en Bertrand tien meter lager ook neerzitten. Ik kan mee, goed. Hoe ver is het eigenlijk nog? Moedig strompelen we verder naar het zadel tussen de twee toppen van de Elbrus. Het laatste halfuur was niet steil, maar toch zijn we buiten adem. Halftwaalf, klopt dat? We hadden gehoopt ondertussen boven te zijn. Het enige dat ons nu nog vooruit helpt is de gedachte dat we te ver zijn gekomen om op te geven. We kunnen gewoonweg niet stoppen driehonderd meter onder de top. De hoogteziekte blijft gelukkig uit, dus niets kan ons tegenhouden. De tijd kan ons al lang niet meer schelen. Met nieuwe moed vatten we het laatste echt zware stuk van de beklimming aan. Ik krijg het nu echt zwaar. Soms moet ik na twee stappen alweer halt houden, maar ik zie hetzelfde bij andere mensen. De wind geeft stevig thuis en zwiept voortdurend sneeuwhopen mijn richting uit – het wordt kouder hier. Verdergaan. Op naar het volgende rode vlagje, dat de route aanduidt. Pauze. Verdergaan. Ik kan mijn gedachten niet meer zelf sturen en in mijn hoofd hoor ik non-stop teksten van Robert Long over dwaze moeders uit Argentinië. Ik probeer aan iets anders te denken, maar ik raak er niet van af! Na elke bocht ben ik een desillusie rijker. Steeds weer verschijnt een stuk hoger gelegen berg – de Elbroes kijkt nu al negen uur lang op mij neer. Ik had gelezen over de eindeloosheid van deze berg, maar nu kan het toch echt niet ver meer zijn! In de verte zie ik plots een beeld dat voor eeuwig op mijn netvlies gebrand staat. Voor het eerst zie ik het hoogste punt van Europa. Op het einde van een klein plateau, ongeveer 500 meter lang, zie ik een kleine verhoging, als een molshoop in een tuin. Een breed pad loopt er recht naartoe, geflankeerd door nog zeker twintig rode vlaggetjes. Ik kan niet meer. Yannick en Bertrand moet ik laten gaan. Een vlag verder. Hoeveel nog? Nog 100 meter. Ik heb het gevoel dat ik niet meer vooruit raak en moet mijn benen verplichten nog extra stappen te zetten. Mijn vrienden zijn ondertussen boven, maar opnieuw moet ik rusten. Plots ben ik er. Adrenaline neemt alles over en de ik voel de vermoeidheid met een razend tempo wegspurten uit mij. Enkele omhelzingen later besef ik het: het hoogste punt van Europa. En wij staan er op. Helemaal alleen – geen wolkje aan de hemel en geen mens te bespeuren. Het is een fantastisch gevoel. Mijn kracht komt terug en in één keer ben ik de beklimming vergeten. Er komt euforie in mij naar boven en ik kan mijn lach niet inhouden.
Daar ben je dan, Europa. Het is gelukt.

Zondag 18 september 2016 - Riga, Letland

Het mooie maar tegelijk onheilspellende aan liften is de volledige onwetendheid over hoe de dag zal verlopen. Er moeten namelijk veel puzzelstukjes op hun plaats vallen vooraleer iemand kan stoppen om ons op te pikken: we moeten zichtbaar zijn, de chauffeur moet voldoende plaats hebben, onze richting uitgaan, tijd hebben om te stoppen en een beetje een vriendelijke ingesteldheid hebben. Veel parameters, die duidelijk in sommige landen moeilijker combineerbaar zijn dan in andere.

Eén ding mag men nooit vergeten tijdens het liften: er stopt altijd iemand. Hoelang het soms ook duurt, op een gegeven moment vind je de rit van je leven. Zo stond ik enkele weken geleden urenlang vast in het westen van Bulgarije. Bertrand en Yannick waren al doorgegaan met een auto met twee vrije zitplaatsen en ik bleef nog even achter. Vier uur later stond ik nog steeds op dezelfde, niet zo goede liftplaats met krampen in mijn rechterarm. En toch – plots stopt er iemand. Ruslan brengt me naar een betere plaats zo'n 25 kilometer verder. Een groot tankstation niet ver van de Servische grens waar ik beter met chauffeurs kan praten en al zelf een aantal van de bovengenoemde parameters kan filteren. En zo kon ik de volgende ochtend, na een ware baaldag, mee met een Duits-Bulgaars koppel tot Bratislava, een lift van zomaar even 880 kilometer!

Maar het kan frustrerend zijn. Het kan enorm frustrerend zijn. We stellen onszelf namelijk regelmatig doelstellingen op. 'Binnen drie dagen afspraak in Istanbul' of 'We moeten vrijdag echt in Wenen zijn!' Als het dan niet loopt beginnen de zorgen te komen of het met liften wel zal lukken.
Ik ben tijdens deze reis zeker al tien keer het geloof in het liften verloren. Maar het is ook al minstens tien keer weer teruggekeerd.

Ons avontuur in Wit-Rusland was een perfect voorbeeld van de beide extremen van het liften. Enkele dagen geleden, op donderdagochtend, werden we wakker in onze tent in het oosten van Polen, in het onuitspreekbare dorpje Woskrzenice Duze. Er was niet veel verkeer, maar al bij al was het niet zo moeilijk om iemand te vinden die ons tot net over de grens bracht. De vriendelijke Mariusz gaan sigaretten kopen in Wit-Rusland en vindt het niet erg om daarvoor regelmatig enkele uren in de rij te staan. Toen we ons opstelden in Brest om richting Minsk te liften duurde het niet zo lang vooraleer Sergei halt hield. Zijn Engels was zeer beperkt, maar we slaagden erin overeen te komen dat hij eerst nog even bij zijn huis ging passeren vooraleer we naar Kobrin zouden rijden, zo'n 60 kilometer. Eenmaal bij Sergei aangekomen begon hij verwoed te koken: hij moest en zou ons eten geven voor we verder gingen. Dochter Veronika werd aan ons voorgesteld en uit zijn vragen en handelingen was het niet moeilijk om af te leiden dat hij haar graag aan een van ons zou uithuwelijken. Drie jonge Belgen in zijn huis in Wit-Rusland, dat is natuurlijk een unicum waar men van gebruik moet maken. Veronika had het spelletje met gemak door en werd kwaad op haar vader en beschaamd richting ons. Maar kan je het Sergei kwalijk nemen?

We wisselden toch nog contactgegevens uit en niet veel later bracht hij ons naar een goed tankstation op de snelweg naar Minsk.

Het leuke aan de Wit-Russen is dat iedereen bereid is te luisteren. Niemand kan er ook maar één woord Engels, maar waar ze in de meeste landen op dat punt besluiten om hun aandacht elders op te richten, wachten de Wit-Russen geduldig af tot wij kunnen uitleggen waarom we hen aanspreken.

De mooiste ervaring kregen we zo 's avonds. Liften in het donker, zonder straatverlichting, is geen makkie, maar de eerste auto die passeerde liet ons meteen instappen. Vitaly en Larissa werden de helden van het Wit-Russisch avontuur. Niet alleen brachten ze ons helemaal tot op het hoogste punt van Wit-Rusland, daarna brachten ze ons ook nog opnieuw richting de bewoonde wereld. Dat dat allemaal gelukt is met slechts handgebaren, twee woorden Russisch en deemoedig kijken mag een klein wonder heten. Zeker op een moment dat we al dachten onze tent te moeten opzetten.

Deze zeer voorspoedige en positieve dag had zijn weerslag op onze karma want de volgende ochtend liep het weer voor geen meter. Niemand, maar dan ook niemand, ging de Litouwse kant op. We waren al om 5u30 opgestaan om de 600 kilometer naar Riga te volbrengen (via het hoogste punt van Litouwen) omdat Jolinde ons vanaf de namiddag zou opwachten in Letland. Om 12u 's middags waren we ongeveer 20 kilometer en dat was dan nog omdat we uit wanhoop een bus genomen hadden.
Helaas, de tijd drong en er zat niets anders op dan een taxi tot aan de grens te nemen. Een redelijk onvriendelijke meneer regelde een dure rit voor ons en ging niet weg voor hij zelf nog een commissie van ons had ontvangen.

Daar waar Wit-Rusland ons de dag ervoor hartelijk welkom had geheten, hadden we nu een beetje het gevoel dat het al met ons klaar was. En hoe we verder zouden geraken, dat was ons probleem.

Alles kwam uiteindelijk goed: Yannick haalde Riga nog die avond, Litouwer Matas bracht ons naar het hoogste punt van Litouwen en tot in Vilnius, en Bertrand en ik vonden een slaapplaats bij Egidius.
Toch sluimerde er een wrang gevoel in mij. Ik heb nog eens een goeie rit nodig, dan ben ik zeker dat het positieve gevoel over het liften wel weer de bovenhand zal halen!

Sunday, 18 september 2016 - Riga, Latvia

Peakbaggin’ in Central-Europe

Crossing Turkey West to East to reach the Caucasus had proven to be an exhausting endeavour. So after we did what we had to do out there in Russia, we didn’t exactly look forward to going back the same route, back to Istanbul. However, we raced through the country and were rewarded with a much-needed haircut and ditto shaving in the heart of the city. Another couple of days later, once again testing the limits of our hitchhiking abilities, we found ourselves in the magnificent capital of Austria. Vienna was not supposed to be part of our route, but because of the visa shenanigans Belarus imposes on us, it was our best bet. Good call. I had been a couple of years ago, during a very cold winter. It was lovely to see the city live up to its history this time. Our passports and visa support documents handed over to the Belarus consul, it was time to head to the High Tatras. This Central-European mountain range is the last spur of the Carpathian mountains to the east. It’s generally thought to be the smallest high mountain range in Europe. Indeed, when we got to Poprad in Slovakia, we could see the end of the range fading out into the Central European plains on both sides, with both Rysy and Gerlachovsky Stit protruding in the middle of the stone walls.

We met with Ivo, a friend of a friend and overall Tatras-enthousiast in Poprad, preparing for our trip to Slovakia’s highest. He had commissioned one of his hiking buddies to join us and before dawn we set out on the route to the valley. Ivo and his buddy Pawel held a steady pace through the bushy terrain. We were making good mileage and altitude in two hours, until we reached the first crag: an impressive couloir leading straight up to the saddle. Another party of climbers in front of us lead the way but doing so caused some rumble in the rocks. After we geared up, waiting our turn at the bottom of the crack, we heard some screams from above, just moments before a rock the size of a melon whizzed in between us, coming to a shattering in the valley below. Shortly after this first warning, another lot made its way down, this time through the couloir. I didn’t see it, having pressed myself against the wall and buried my head in my arms, but Yannick testified it was the size of his salon table. It didn’t feel good. We had escaped twice, another time we might be less lucky. Realising this, we had to make our way up as quickly as possible. So we roped up, started climbing in the crag and clipped in to the wall. Another couple of hundred metres of climbing separated us from the summit. We got there by 1 pm, shared our meal with the other climbers and finally enjoyed the view of a summit that wasn’t veiled in fog. The way down led us through an exhausting ankle-breaking boulderfield into the valley.

Back in Poprad, our friend Jonas waited for us at the train station. He is travelling around Central Europe and decided to join us for a couple of days as we were to ascend Poland’s summit. After a day of sightseeing in sundrenched Poprad, we headed out to the foot of Rysy. Rysy is understandably a very popular daytrip destination for a lot of Poles. The beauty of the region is incomparable. A seemingly endless line of cars parked before the entrance to the park announced this would be more of a tourist attraction, with actual waiting lines, than a pleasant hike up the mountain. For some reason, this realisation jagged up our pace and we soon were taking over other hikers by the hundreds. By the time we reached the saddle, we had overtaken more than 700 daytrippers. It is a safe bet to say there must’ve been a couple of thousands on the mountain that day. Good, no lack of witnesses on the summit! The way down felt like a race, trying to beat those herds of tourists to the train station. With weary legs but happy to beat summit number 10, we were once again on the road to Poprad.

Next up, a short hitchhiking trip to Vienna to pick up our visa for Belarus and we could finally head out to that unknown country. Crossing Poland was nothing out of the ordinary and on the morning of the first day of our visa, a guy named Marius willingly took us over the border. He seems to make this trip several times a week, picking up cigarettes just across the border. Ironically, Belarus is known to be a very hospitable country. That is, once you manage to match all the requirements for the visa procedure, of course. We were soon greeted by Sergey, enthusiast Belarussian family man from Brest, and his puppy Alma. He promised to drop us off on the road to Minsk, where we were to reach the summit of this entirely flat country. But first, a short stop at his place, just to drop off the dog. About an hour and a lot of local food later, we were back on the road. Yep, Belarussian hospitality is no myth! We soon enough found a ride to Minsk and got dropped off on the road leading to Dzharzhynskaya Hara, some 20 kilometers away. As dusk was setting in, an elderly couple in a minivan picked us up and decided to make a little detour for us. We drove past their house to the beginning of the climb, twenty seconds before reaching the end of it. We didn’t see a thing there as the night had shrouded the commemorative stone in darkness so I couldn’t even tell you what it looks like, but Vitali and Larissa, our drivers, seemed to have fun at the sight of three Belgians getting excited over their 345m of national pride. And so they pushed on a little more, dropping us off at a big gas station on the intersection Minsk – Vilnius. Good call, we should be on our way to Vilnius in no time. Or so we thought.

The luck of our first day in Belarus made way for frustration the next day, as our visa was about to expire and Yannick’s girlfriend Jolinde had flown into Riga for the weekend. And we still had Lithuania’s highest to conquer. Would we make it in time?

Zaterdag 1 oktober - Kiruna, Zweden

We zijn gepleujd. De Kebnekaise in Zweden zal nog een maand of tien moeten wachten. Na twee zware dagen zijn we terug in Kiruna. We hebben zonet alweer een nacht verdiend in het appartement door de plaatselijke Burger King te poetsen. Met vier slaapkamers, grote televisie en wasmachine zijn we verwend, maar na het trotseren van de Zweedse weergoden eerder vandaag hebben we het zeker verdiend.

We vertrokken gisteren met onze huurauto richting Nikkaluokta, zo'n 75 kilometer van Kiruna. De bussen rijden niet meer en het dorpje leeft van de toeristen die in het seizoen beginnen aan hun tocht naar de Kebnekaise. Vanuit Nikkaluokta is het zo'n 19 kilometer naar Kebnekaise Fjällstation. Een verzameling hutten, hotel en zelfs sportfaciliteiten waar in de zomermaanden veel Zweden ronddwalen. Op 30 september lijkt het eerder een spookdorp. Onderweg kwamen we nog andere bergbeklimmers tegen. Een voor een zouden ze de dag erna de Kebnekaise willen temmen, maar zullen ze niet slagen in hun opzet.

We stellen onze tenten zo'n twee kilometer verder op, koken een potje eten en maken ons klaar voor een wilde nacht. De wind beukt hard in op onze tent en zal dat ook blijven doen tot wanneer de wekker afloopt om halfzes. Ik steek mijn hoofd uit de tent en kijk naar de berg. De gletsjer is duidelijk zichtbaar en behalve een licht windje zijn de omstandigheden perfect. Na een uurtje klimmen wordt het zicht wat minder. De wind is komen opzetten en we lopen nu op een besneeuwd plateau op zo'n 1400 meter. We zien geen steenmannetjes meer, de weg is ergens links of rechts van ons en na onze kaart te bestuderen besluiten we naar rechts te draaien langs de gletsjer. Verkeerde beslissing zou later blijken. We trotseren de wind en opwaaiende sneeuw en klimmen naar bijna 1800 meter. De wind is onhoudbaar geworden, we controleren waar we zijn en beseffen dat we niet in de buurt van de top zijn. We kijken elkaar aan en een paar zinnen later besluiten we om weer af te dalen. Op een bergkam lopen met windstoten van meer dan honderd kilometer per uur is geen goed idee. De wind is zo sterk dat we moeten neerzitten om niet omver geblazen te worden. De regenbeschermer van Bertrand zijn rugzak wordt er brutaal van gerukt en verdwijnt luttele seconden later in de afgrond.

Uiteindelijk komen we ongedeerd aan de tent aan. Oef, ze staan er nog! Bertrand gaat nog een laatste keer onderuit in het zicht van de eindmeet. De afdaling was zo mogelijk zwaarder dan de klim. We pakken gauw onze spullen in, rollen de tenten op en merken plots drie rendieren op in de verte. De eerste van de reis en dat na tien dagen Scandinavië! Met goede moed vertrekken we voor alweer 21 kilometer met een loden rugzak en een deukje in ons zelfvertrouwen. Maar eigenlijk zijn we ook fier omdat we de beslissing hebben durven nemen om af te dalen en het volgend jaar opnieuw te proberen.


A journey to the highest point of every European cou‍‍‍‍‍‍ntry

‍‍‍Mountain count: 43/44 ‍‍‍
Kilometers hitchhiked: 34 988 km